Introduction -- Yes, it's me, Hurricane Katrina.

Hello everyone! My name is Katrina. First, I will share a little bit about myself. I am a Sociology major in my second year. I enjoy being active despite being sore every day (no I don't stretch). I like going to the gym and I am currently playing ultimate frisbee for UBC. But, it is not very enjoyable playing in this current weather. If you also play ultimate, let me know, I love meeting other players! I also enjoy other sports like basketball and volleyball, though I haven't played them in a long while. I've seen many blogs about students showing their pets, and unfortunately, I do not have one but I wanted to ask whoever reads my blog this: Are you a dog or cat person? I am personally a cat person as I think they are more chill and I would be able to manage them better, but dogs also have my heart. Finally, during my free time, I play video games with my friends. If you'd like to play sometime, let me know! Just a little warning though, I'm not good. 

Next, I'll be talking about what I expect from this course. After taking Romance Studies 201, I expected a lot of reading about the same topics (poems about love, etc.), even in the post-modern era. I was incredibly wrong as we actually have to read books. However, I did not expect the grading system at all. I typically do not enjoy reading, but it is something I've been wanting to get into so this course is definitely going to encourage me. I usually enjoy listening to podcasts more so I think this will be a challenge for me. However, I am looking forward to it. I actually went through a reading phase last year and finished a couple books in a few months and have been meaning to continue, so I'm excited to get back into it. 

After attending the lecture this Wednesday, what I found most interesting was defining what a "good" or "bad" reading is. The first thought that came to mind when Prof. Jon Beasley-Murray asked this question was if you liked the content of the book or not. However, he then added that you can not like a book but learn something from it in return which can still make it a "good" reading. This really intrigued me as it gave me a new perspective on reading books going forward which will definitely help me throughout this course. Overall, that discussion really encouraged me to read.

Thank you for reading my blog and I look forward to your comments! 

Comments

  1. Hi Katrina, my name's Ellie and I too am an active person who hates stretching. I don't know if it is the act of doing it that I do not enjoy, or the fact that I always forget to stretch before and after a workout, thus becoming more sore and complaining about the (lack there of) stretching. That's really cool that you play Ultimate! Growing up, instead of playing catch with a baseball with my father, we would bring the frisbee everywhere we went and throw. I was always really bad at it and it was not until Grade 10 when I played on my high school Ultimate team where I learned to throw properly and play. Would love to make a friend who is down to throw the disc, so if you're okay with playing with someone pretty rusty, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katrina! You can ignore my deleted comment, accidentally pressed publish too early haha. I’m also more of a cat person. I hope this course helps you get back into reading, it’s one of my goals to read more as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Katrina! I hope you enjoy this class much more, the idea here is for you to explore your own interests. Bienvenida

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katrina, nice to hear I'm not only one that refuses to stretch and later regrets it. I'm more of a dog person but I might be biased because I've only ever had a dog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts